Cycling in Åland
Åland seems to be made for cycling. The distances are short, the
nature varied and the sea is always present. Often a beautiful sea bay
or a flourishing meadow waits behind the next bend in the road. It's
never far between places to swim and different sights.
Just remember that the right of public access is more restricted in
Åland than in Sweden and Finland. The basic rule is to not disturb or
destroy. Enjoy nature and leave it the same way as when you came.
Follow the green-white bicycle signs along great bicycle routes.
Wherever possible the bicycle routes run along smaller roads with less
traffic, but there are also special bicycle roads parallel with the
more frequented main roads.
If you follow the bicycle routes, there will be a bicycle ferry
waiting when you reach the end of the road. They function as an
extension of the Åland roads and run according to a timetable in June,
July and August.
Distances in Åland
- Mariehamn - Eckerö, main road 1, 34 km
- Mariehamn - Godby (Finström), main road 2, 16 km
- Godby - Hummelvik ferry harbour (Vårdö), main road 2, 34 km
- Godby - Hällö brygga (Geta), main road 4, 26 km
- Mariehamn - Söderby (Lemland), main road 3, 14 km
- Söderby - Långnäs (Lumparland), main road 3, 14 km
Booking your trip
You can book ready-made cycling packages where everything is included, from travel organisers
in Åland, or plan your route on your own. Here you'll find many tips
and other important information for planning your bicycle vacation in