Active holiday in Åland
Åland is the perfect travel destination if you want to have an active holiday. There is beautiful nature, top-class sports facilities and interesting competitions to take part in. Åland is the best choice if you want to exercise and get your heart racing on your holiday!
There are plenty of advantages to be had from a trip involving sport and exercise. You’re investing in your own health and will get renewed energy, inspiration and motivation. When the muscles exercise, the brain relaxes and ‘feel-good hormones’ like endorphins and dopamine are released so that you feel happier. An active holiday may also take you to places you might never have gone to, and what you experience will make for wonderful memories to cherish for the rest of your life.
9 tips for an active holiday in Åland
1. Disc golf becomes more and more popular. There are now eleven disc golf parks but the aim is to offer a total of 16 courses all over Åland. Disc Golf is a cheap – but what’s more important – a fun outdoor activity for the whole family.
2. Cycle with your friends or your family. You’ll get close to nature and the sea when you cycle along Åland’s red roads and the distances between attractions, accommodation and places to eat are always short.
3. Discover Åland’s many hiking and nature trails. They are open all year round and there’s lots of space. Did you know that St Olav Waterway goes through Åland? It is the first pilgrim’s route to run through an archipelago and it starts at Turku in Finland, runs through Åland, through Sweden and on to Trondheim in Norway.
4. Paddle kayak in the archipelago. Take a course, book a guided tour or if you have some previous experience in kayaking, hire a kayak and set off on your own.
5. Try your luck on the Åland golf courses. Distances are short and you’ll have time to play at both the Åland Golf Club and Eckerö Golf during your holiday. Want to take a green card certification? That’s possible in Åland!
6. Travel to Åland for an enjoyable and challenging fun run. Compete in running, triathlon or cycling.
7. Experience Åland on horseback. There are several riding schools and centres with riding facilities that provide courses, riding camps and individual lessons or outdoor rides. Do you want to take your own horse along? Granlunda Gård provides the Bed & Box concept.
8. Swimming is a popular form of exercise in Åland, and Mariebad and Åland’s Sports Centre are top-class swimming pools that suit both elite swimmers and fitness enthusiasts. In the summer there are also competitions if you like swimming in open water, for example the Åland Swimrun and the Bomarsund Open Water Challenge. There are several nice beaches in Åland, too.
9. Bring your team to a training camp in Åland. The facilities available accommodate football, ice hockey, volleyball, racket sports, gymnastics, martial arts, shooting sports, swimming and bowling. Experienced travel operators will be pleased to help you book your boat travel, accommodation and activities.
Site updated 27.4.2021.